Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The recipe file

This is my recipe folder. Yep, I know. It's very full. 


I enjoy finding new recipes. But, I am a creature of habit. Therefore I find new recipes much more regularly than I make them. I have a tendency to fall back on the tried and true meals I know my family will like. I can't stop collecting new ones though. You see, magazines like to supply a photo along with a recipe, which makes the food look so good, that before I know it, I have added another recipe to my file. 


To clear out my overflowing recipe file, I have decided that I am going to attempt one of the new recipes every week...every other week...why don't we just say, as often as I can. Once I have made a recipe, and if the family approves it, I will immediately write it on a recipe card and file it in my recipe box! If it is not approved, in the trash it goes. I should have this mess under control in no time! Right?

The first recipe I cleared out was pan-seared pork with potatoes and lemon from Martha Stewart's Everyday Foods. It's a one skillet meal. Gotta love that! I used my big electric skillet which is one of my favorite kitchen appliances. My absolute favorite is my beautiful, red Kitchen Aide mixer. I think I'm getting off track. OK, Pan-seared pork.

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil on med-hi heat in skillet. Add 1 pound of red potatoes that have been cut into 1/2 in cubes (I used plain old brown potatoes—still good!); season with salt and pepper. Cook tossing occasionally, until golden brown. (8-10 min)


Once browned, add 1/2 cup of water; cover and cook until potatoes are tender and water has evaporated. (5 min) Then add 3 scallions that have been cut into 1 in long pieces. (1 min) (I also added a few I had left over that had been chopped, it was fine!)Transfer to a bowl and keep warm. I put my potatoes in an oven safe bowl that I placed in the warm oven.


Cut a 1 pound pork tenderloin crosswise into 12 equal slices. Press slices between hands to flatten evenly. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the same skillet over med-hi heat. Cook pork slices until browned, 1-2 min per side. While pork begins to cook, thinly slice one lemon. 

Wearing the red nail polish for this photo may not have been the best choice, but it is a really pretty color and super sparkly! I did not cut my thumb.


Add lemon slices during the last 2 min of cooking.


Serve pork with lemons and potatoes. If you like, top the meal with cilantro. The family does not like...I skipped the cilantro.


This meal got a four thumbs up from the family! I highly recommend it. It is quick and easy and delicious!

The recipe is now written on one of the lovely recipe cards given to me by a good girlfriend and placed in my recipe box. 


Yippee! One down...only a file full to go!

Christine

No comments: