Friday, April 1, 2011

I can see it now

We are finally beginning to warm up in my neck of the woods. It was 49˚ yesterday. Woohoo! Of course today is April 1st so we will probably get 4 inches of snow. I had to say that to counteract the fact that I had just said it was warming up, because once we begin to say it's getting warm in Minnesota...we get more snow. So now we won't get more snow, cause I just said we will! However, now that I said we won't, it will snow. It's a vicious cycle! And now I can't remember if I should expect more snow or not. Anyway...


Yesterday was a very nice day and I am excited that once again I can see most of the flower beds around the house. I can also see the rocks we stack, for fun, in the side bed. Yea, they're all still there!



 I can also see the garden snail we picked up while exploring Jurustic Park in Wisconsin. Very fun place to visit!




And I can finally get a really good look at the apple trees at the end of our property. 


When the first snow of the winter arrive, it was so beautiful that I ran outside with my camera to capture the lovely white landscape. This is how our apple tree looked.




Moments after I took the shot, this is how the apple tree looked.




See that large limb that has fallen. It got worse! The large limb on the left fell also. The weight of the snow was too much for the old apple tree.


This is how the sad tree looks now.




It's a goner! Frankly the tree needed to go anyway. It was overgrown, it no longer produced good fruit and it made a huge mess in the fall. We hadn't planned to deal with it this year though.


Looking on the bright side...the tree offered some hungry critters some good eats through the long, long, long, winter.




The critters did quite a job removing the tender bark from those branches, didn't they?


And I get to start planning what we'll plant to replace the apple tree. 


Originally there were three apple trees along the back of the property. One we had previously removed because it died. Now we need to take out the broken one and while we're at it, we'll take out the third as well.


I would really like to put in some smaller apple trees. Some Honeycrisp apple trees could be nice. Wouldn't it be delicious to have our own Honeycrisp apples in the fall? I'll just answer...YES!




And it would be scent heaven to plant a row of Lilac bushes behind the apple trees. Then I could stop searching fields for abandoned Lilac bushes to swipe blossoms from. Not that I do that...when anyone is looking.




Adding in a few Hydrangeas, dotted between the apples trees, with the Lilacs for a backdrop, would look spectacular. I think the blue ones.




Wait! Maybe pink ones instead!




Definitely pink!


It will be a lot of work, but it will be lovely once we're all done. I can't wait!


Now I just need the snow to go away, and then I need to tell the husband what I'd like to do. Maybe I'll tell him after he has rested from removing the trees...and after I bake his favorite cookies!




Christine







No comments: