Thursday, April 14, 2011

Keeper?

I have a dilemma! I pulled another recipe out of the recipe file. (Who knew it would take blogging about each new recipe to get me to start clearing out the file, but yea!) The recipe was One-pot chicken with sausage and potatoes.


Brown 1/2 pound of sweet italian sausage over med-hi heat, about 4 min. I love the smell of italian sausage cooking!




Once the sausage is browned, transfer it to a bowl. Place two chicken breasts, halved and seasoned with salt and pepper into the pot.(I used three chicken breasts, because three came in the package. How's that for a reason?) Cook until browned on both sides, about 10 min. Then set aside the chicken with the sausage. Next time I would use boneless, skinless chicken breasts...easier.




While I was browning the sausage and chicken, the husband was helping out by chopping up potatoes and celery. Look at the lovely presentation. He's so wonderful!




He also tried to help with dicing the onions. Have you ever tried this trick?




The idea is that if you light a candle and place it close while chopping onions, the onions are not supposed to make your eyes water. Yeah, that doesn't work. I ended up chopping the onions. Apparently the husband has very sensitive eyes! I think he will be getting these for Christmas.


Oh baby! Won't he look handsome? Maybe I'll get some too! Although that might totally freak out the kids...and the dog. On second thought I'll just chop the onions!


Hmmm, where was I...oh yes, toss the onions, potatoes, and celery into the pot, season with salt and pepper, stir often, until onion is soft, about 3-5 min.




Return sausage and chicken to the pot, add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. The recipe says 20 min. It took more like 30 min.




Once the chicken is cooked through, remove lid and increase heat to high; boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup.




Transfer chicken to platter. Add vinegar and oregano to vegetables and sausage and stir to combine. With a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables and sausage to platter with chicken. Transfer sauce remaining in the pot to a gravy boat and serve.


I removed the chicken from the bones and chopped it up. Emma bean is more likely to eat it that way. For some reason she does not like her chicken with the bones still attached. Go figure!




So there you have it. One pot chicken with sausage and potatoes. Not a very pretty meal, but I thought it was delicious. If you would like the complete recipe just click on the link. The recipe comes from the Everyday Foods magazine. 


I like that you can click the link to Everyday Foods for the recipe, because then I don't have to type out the whole thing. And if you try it and don't like it, you might not remember I suggested it, because the print out will have the Everyday Foods magazine name on it. If you like the recipe...well...it's theirs anyway! And maybe I'm lazy and don't want to type out the entire thing.


With that said and done, here is my dilemma...this recipe received two ehhs (the girls) and two enthusiastic thumbs up (the hubby and me)...do I save it or not? 


The husband and I would definitely enjoy eating this meal again, but is it worth making again if the girls don't really want to eat it? 


Maybe I need a section in my recipe box for company meals. Grown up company!


Christine

No comments: