Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What's your favorite...

 I do not like any sentence that begins...what's your favorite...


My desperate desire when someone begins to ask me that question is to point into the distance behind my interrogator and shout "what is that?" and bolt while they are looking the other way!


It isn't that I am not willing to share about myself, I am, clearly or I would not blog. It's just that I don't really have that many absolute favorite things.


Off the top of my head I can say that, for sure, my favorite perfume is Chanel N˚5 and my favorite coffee beverage is a Starbucks Mocha. Yep, that's it. Those two things are favorites. But no one asks "what's your favorite perfume?"


People ask "what's your favorite color?"


That's when my brain starts to flail around for an answer.


My favorite color is...


Pink! Just like the pink of the blooms on a William Baffin climbing rose.



Wait! No, it's orange! Like these begonias.




Nope! It's blue! The blue of the Husband's and the Sofibug's eyes.




Or actually...brown! Chocolate brown, like Emma bean's eyes.




How is a person to decide? They're all my favorites!


The question, what is your favorite food, is no easier.


My Mom's chili is my favorite! YUM!




Except...my Grandma's Beef Stroganoff. That's my favorite! It makes my mouth water just to think about it.




Wait! I also really like...


See why this is a problem?


Whether the question is favorite color, food, book or movie, I simply cannot choose just one "favorite". It is not possible. Am I really the only one with this problem?


I'm always amazed and frankly impressed by people who can, with conviction, give a simple, single answer. Blue is my favorite color. My mouth drops open in astonishment! How do they do that?


I only bring this up because my oldest Miss Sofibug, has in the last few weeks, been pummeling me with what's your favorite, questions.


At first I sputtered and tried to change the subject. Could I tell her the truth, that her Mom was fickle and did not have many absolute favorites? Would she be satisfied with, one of my favorites is...


At first she was determined to try to get me to pick just one favorite.


It made my head hurt!


Finally, she has accepted her Mother's inability to choose. She still asks about my favorites, but now she allows me to share a list, sometimes long lists and it leads to nice conversations about things each of us likes. 


I have come to see that my girl just wants to learn more about her Mother. I love her for it! 


Now I'm glad I can't choose just one thing as favorite because then these conversations would be much too short.


Christine



No comments: