Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ratatouille

I become a very lazy cook in the summertime. Hence the lack of blog posts from the recipe files! 


When cooler temperatures set in and the Farmer's Market once again offers up a bountiful harvest of produce, that changes.


It is zucchini and yellow squash season and I couldn't wait any longer to make Ratatouille!


So what if, as the girls pointed out to me, Ratatouille is a fall kinda meal!


They wouldn't say the movie is only a fall kinda movie!




And I don't see why I have to wait for fall to make the meal! The produce is ready, I'm ready!


My Ratatouille, though I was inspired by the movie to make it, does not look a fancy as Remi's.




Isn't that lovely? 


Yeah, mine doesn't look like that. 


But it tastes as good as that looks!


In a dutch oven heat 1/3 cup olive oil over med-hi heat. Toss in 2 medium sized onions that have been chopped. Cook stirring occasionally until soft. About 5 minutes.




Add in 4 cloves of chopped garlic. Stirring, cook 1 minute. It will smell so good!!


Stir in 2 eggplants, 4-5 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash that have been cut into 1 inch cubes. (I skip the eggplant. My family doesn't like it.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.




Add 3/4 cup water to dutch oven, cover, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once.


Stir in 3 yellow and/or red peppers, chopped. Cover and simmer 5 more minutes.




It's so pretty! 


I really like that this recipe works in 5 minute increments, allowing the perfect amount of time to chop up the next ingredient. 


Stir in a 28 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of dried thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low. Simmer, partially covered and stir often for 15-20 minutes. Be sure to simmer gently or your vegetables will get too mushy. Mushy veggies are not good!




Finally, remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup fresh basil.


I use a teaspoon of dried basil when I don't have any fresh on hand...still good!


There you have it...Ratatouille. Yum!


However, the family likes me to add roasted chicken to the Ratatouille, 




and serve it over fettucini!


Voila!



Good stuff!!


And the girls thought I should wait for fall! bah!!


Christine


P.S. This recipe came from  Martha Stewart's Everyday Foods.


Thank you Martha Stewart!



No comments: