Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A few things about bees and honey

1. This is a beekeeper. He's wearing a beekeeper's suit. It protects him from bee stings. I'll take his word for it. I do not want to test it myself!




2. A bee colony can contain up to 60,000 bees. The beekeeper is only wearing what looks to me to be nothing more than thin white coveralls. 60,000 bees!


3. I have taken a LOT of photos of bees...sans beekeeper's suit...I have been stung before...maybe I should try the suit!




4.  A single honey bee produces 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.




5. Bees can fly 15 miles an hour.




6. Children are fascinated with the process of harvesting honey!




7. Adults are just as fascinated as children!




8. The machine that removes the honey from the frame is called The Honey Extractor. When I say that in my head I use a mad scientist's voice! Prepare The Honey Extractor!




9. Children can hardly contain themselves as they wait to taste the honey that drains from The Honey Extractor! Yep, sounded like a mad scientist's voice in my head again and I added in an evil laugh this time!



10. A Queen Bee lays up to 1,500 eggs per day. I bet she's ready for school to start!


11. Children, who once refused to eat honey saying they did not like it even though they wouldn't try it, decide they really do like honey once they have participated in harvesting it!






12. My girls now say honey is sweet and delicious! I say, I told you so!



Christine

No comments: