Friday, June 3, 2011

Pest control

This is a Praying Mantis egg case.




There are hundreds of little Praying Mantis (Manti? Mantises? I don't know the plural) bugs in that little case. 


I have placed that little case in a paper bag, I will place that bag in the garage, and in a few weeks that bag will be full of Praying Mantises. (the plural is mantises, I looked it up)






Then I will sprinkle these little guys throughout my gardens. "Hello baby Mantis."



Not only are they fascinating to look at, but  Mantises will eat any other bugs they can catch, and they are very good at catching other bugs. These little guys have saved my vegetable garden from more than one nasty pest that likes to eat the vegetable plants.


The Praying Mantis has also been become a summer pet of sorts for the girls. They often discover one living in a hosta off of the front porch. The girls will name it and talk to it and watch it grow. 


Oh boy do they grow! We found one that was 5 inches long a few years ago. That was one big bug. That means it was doing a very good job eating all of the other bugs! Yes!




The Praying Mantis has the very unique ability, for a bug that is, to turn it's head 180˚. Those little bugs will turn their head and look you right in the eye. It can be unnerving!


The Praying Mantis is a cool bug and welcome to eat in my garden anytime! 


Some of them even know Kung Fu!


Like I said, the Praying Mantis is one cool bug!


Christine

No comments: