Monday, June 4, 2012

WARNING! Naked Lemons

The Husband has decided to make Limoncello. 


Limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur. It's very good!


All I could think about when he told me he was going to make Limoncello was Marcello, in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun, explaining how his family makes Limoncello. That movie makes me want to buy a lovely villa in Tuscany in the midst of a sunflower field and drink my own homemade Limoncello every day. Well, maybe not every day, but often!




Anyway...


The Husband said "Yes" to drinking our own homemade Limoncello, but "No" to buying a villa in Tuscany. Ho hum


The Husband grated the peels off of some lemons. 






I laughed as he complained, 3 lemons into the process, that grating lemons was a lot of work. He didn't give-up though! Nope. He suffered for the cause. If making Limoncello can be labeled a cause. Maybe he was afraid that he would have to go for the villa if he gave up on the Limoncello. Hmmmm


And that's how we ended up with naked lemons.




What does one do with a bunch of naked lemons?? 


I juiced them. I think I'll have to make some homemade lemonade. A bonus to making Limoncello!!


Once the lemons were peeled - it's important to avoid the pith - the peels were placed in glass jars and Everclear was added.




This stuff scares me a little! Do not use this near an open flame! YIKES 


The Husband assures me Everclear is perfectly safe...as long as I don't drink it straight! And it will be diluted in the Limoncello and it will be delicious. 




And now we wait.


We wait for 14 days.


At the end of 14 days, the Husband will complete the Limoncello making process.


I can't wait to taste it and show you the finished product!


To be continued...


Christine









No comments: