Monday, June 25, 2012

Kale Chips

A friend gave me a bunch of kale today.




I've heard that kale can be baked into chips, and that many people really like them. 


So with fresh kale on hand, and several taste testers on hand as well since the girls had friends over, I decided to bake up some kale chips.


I'll tell you I was pretty excited to try them!


They are so easy to make. And good for you!


I washed and dried the kale, then removed the leaves from the stems.




I then tore the kale leaves into bite sized pieces and placed them on parchment lined baking sheets.


Drizzled with olive oil.




Sprinkled with a little sea salt.




And baked in a 350˚ oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until crispy.




I will say that the smell of baking kale chips is a little...um...unappetizing. Oh they stink!


I did not want to make up my mind on smell alone though, so I called on my very willing taste testers.


They examined the chips, asked how they were made, and gave them a try.




After the first taste, everyone, myself included, said they could not decide if they liked the chips or not.


We tried another.


Again, unsure.


By the third kale chip..."You're never going to make these again, right?"


My response. "Nope!"


There it is folks. We are not fans of kale chips.


Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell of baked kale chips.


Anyone?? 


Bleck!


Christine

2 comments:

Karen Anderson said...

I am so-o-o-o sorry Christine! Thank you for trying them so now we won't. What to do with the rest of the kale in my fridge...?

Christine said...

Very grateful for the free kale! Fun to try even though we didn't like it! Thank you karen!