Thursday, January 26, 2012

Truth and Lies

 Genesis 1:1  In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.


God created all things. And it was good. (truth)


Genesis 2:16-17  And the Lord commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."


Genesis 3:1  Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, "Has God indeed said, 'You shall not eat of every tree of the garden'?"


Genesis 3:4  "You will not surely die." (lie!) said the serpent. "For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God (lie!), knowing good and evil." (truth)




I think we all know how the story goes from here. Eve did eat the fruit of the tree. She gave the fruit to Adam to eat as well. And that was the moment, the moment when Eve doubted God's character, and acted on that doubt by eating the fruit of the forbidden tree, that we began to know not only good, which God had already shown, but now we also know evil.


Yes, we now know evil. We see it in our world every day. Greed. Theft. Oppression. Lies. Murder.


It was wicked lies that encouraged Eve's doubt. Lies that came from an enemy. Lies that came from the Father of Lies. Satan. (truth)


But it was Eve's doubt, her loss of focus on God's character, her willingness to listen to lies and not hold on to truth that opened the door to sin, that has allowed sin to become part of our nature from the moment of birth.


I remember filling in for Miss Sofi Bug's Sunday school teacher once. The class was discussing Adam, Eve, and original sin.


The girls felt angry with Eve for her sin and for all that the world suffers because it.


I understood. I felt the same way when I was their age. I wondered how God could justly make all mankind suffer for one woman's choice. Today I see things more clearly...mostly.


I asked the girls if they thought that they would have made a different choice than Eve. Would they have refused to eat the fruit?


Of course they would have chosen differently! They would never have eaten the fruit!


I thought that was wonderful! And then I asked them, "So you always obey your parents because God says in Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things for this is well pleasing to the Lord."


The girls who were angry at Eve for her failure to obey, the girls who were certain of their ability to obey God and never touch the fruit in the garden, suddenly realized that they, even they, disobey God's commands. 


These beautiful, wonderful girls, like all of us, have a sinful nature.



These girls were confident in their goodness. Confident that had God created them first, instead of Eve, the outcome would have been different. (lie)


I once heard said that we can see our sinful nature from birth. Parents you will certainly understand this example. No parent has to teach a child to lie, it seems to come so naturally...I didn't eat the doughnut! I don't have a clue how that sugar got all over my face!




Children need to be taught to be honest! 


It is truly a lie to think we ourselves do not sin.


Our sin may not seem as bad as the "BIG" sins. (lie)


I do not steal...I don't think...it's no big deal to just take a...


I have never killed anyone!


I mean really! We haven't disobeyed any of the "BIG 10" commandments! Right?


Either did Eve, exactly. She just started by listening to lies. She gave in to doubt. She followed doubt to disobedience.


I understand how doubt creeps in.


The Husband and I have had one struggle after another lately. It becomes so easy to doubt when life gets difficult. Why is God allowing life to be so hard? Will He really provide? Does He know how difficult this is? And if I take my eyes off God, if I don't focus on His character, His goodness, His love, His greatness, struggles can quickly lead to doubt. Doubt wants to lead me away from God. Anytime I think my way is better than God's way, it's sin. (truth)


But God is so merciful. God loves us so much, that He was not willing to let our knowledge of evil and death be the end of the story.(truth)


1Timothy 2:3b-6a and7b  God our Savior, desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, The Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all. I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying.


If you have been listening to the lies that say you are fine, you are a good person and that is enough, please don't listen any longer. 


Romans 3:23  For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.


God longs for you to know Him, feel His love, be safe in the shelter of His forgiveness. 


Romans 10:9  Confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.


Then death's only power over you will be to deliver you to the gates of heaven. To God.


If you, like me, struggle because lies can lead to doubt, let's keep our focus on God's true character and send doubt packing!


Psalm 23  The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil! For you are with me! Your rod and staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over! Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever! 


Amen!


Today my friends, let's believe only truth and stop accepting lies!


Christine


P.S. A special thanks to my pastors, John and Dave for teaching truth!

No comments: