Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Great Balls of...Peanut Butter

When Miss Emma Bean was in preschool...




Oh my word, she was such a little cutie pie! You do realize that I begin my blogs with, when one of the girls was little, just so I can show you pictures of them when they were little right? Just checking!


Anyway, when Miss Emma Bean was in preschool she brought home instructions for making edible peanut butter playdough.


I was not thrilled with the idea of making a dough that the girls were supposed to play with and then eat. Yuck! The girls thought it sounded great and really wanted to try it though.


I finally gave in. We made the peanut butter playdough. It was a combination of peanut butter, honey and powdered sugar. 


I need not have worried. No one spent much time playing with the dough! It was so yummy! We pretty much went right to the eating of the dough.


I never made it again!


Oh boy it had a lot of sugar in it. Not a good everyday treat!


However, I never got rid of the instructions for making the peanut butter playdough. Thank goodness! 


A few years later my good friend Amy shared some of the  peanut butter balls her Mother-in-law makes with me.


Me and Amy


They were incredible!


I had never had a peanut butter ball before! I don't know how that was possible, but I had never.


I begged Amy for the recipe.


The first time I made them I discovered, already in the process of making them of course, that I didn't have all of the ingredients. I seem to run into this problem a lot. You'd think I would learn to check that I have everything I need. Not so much. But I did have all of the ingredients for the peanut butter playdough! Good thing I still had that recipe!




That's right, I substituted the edible peanut butter playdough recipe for Amy's Mother-in-law's peanut butter ball recipe! That's how I've made my peanut butter balls ever since!


And they are so good!


I had intended to share the recipe with you before Christmas, but with all that was going on, I forgot. And the fact that I intended to share made me think I had shared. I had to look back through my blog posts to see whether or not I had blogged the recipe. I have mild anxiety that I will blog about something I've already blogged about and you will think I've lost my marbles! Then with all my anxiety about whether or not I had blogged about the peanut butter ball recipe or not, I had a dream that my cupboards were full of peanut butter balls! Ugh!


Now that I've shared that, you may have good reason to think I've lost my marbles!


That's okay. The peanut butter ball recipe is still good!


In a large bowl mix together 3 cups powdered sugar, 2 cups creamy peanut butter, 3/4 cups honey, and 3 cups Rice Krispies.











Once ingredients are combined, roll into 1 inch balls and place on a jellyroll pan.




Chill for 3 hours.


In double boiler, melt together 6 ounces chocolate chips, 8 ounces Hershey's chocolate bar, and 3 tablespoons of paraffin.






I will admit that I thought adding paraffin to my chocolate was strange. I have made my peanut butter balls with and without the paraffin. Both ways were fine!


Dip peanut butter rolls into chocolate to coat. Set dipped peanut butter balls on a waxed paper lined jellyroll pan.




Once all of the peanut butter balls are coated with chocolate, place in refrigerator until cool. Once cool, store peanut butter balls in an airtight container in the fridge.




YUM YUM YUM!!! They're are so good!


This recipe makes about 80 peanut butter balls. I suggest you share them! That's my disclaimer. I can't be held responsible if you eat them all yourself!


Christine


P.S. Only 800 puzzle pieces to go! Yay!!

No comments: