Monday, November 14, 2011

The old apple tree returns

In May I shared with you that we had to remove an old apple tree that had split after a heavy winter snowfall. We chopped the tree down, cut it into small chunks, some of which we gave to a friend who does some very impressive woodworking,




and hauled away all of the remaining branches. 


Okay so maybe I didn't personally do any of the chopping or hauling but I did take photos and I did serve refreshing beverages after the work was all done! So technically I helped!


All that was left of the old apple tree was this stump.




At least that's what I thought was all that was left of the old apple tree!


I received a surprise this weekend when our friend, the one who does the woodworking, the one who we gave the larger chunks of apple wood to, presented me with this applewood bowl.




I'm amazed by our friend's ability to take a chunk of old apple tree and turn it into something so lovely and useful!




The light and dark shades of the applewood are absolutely beautiful!


I especially like this little knot!




It will no longer bear fruit, but thanks to our friend, the old apple tree will now be a beautiful bowl full of fruit! 


Who am I kidding? I'm totally going to fill it with chocolate!


Christine

No comments: