Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fish Tacos

With the weather warming up, well kind of warming up. I live in Minnesota remember so warming up means; one crazy hot day, two cold days, three rainy days, two warm days...


Maybe what I should say is...It's May and my thoughts have turned to lighter meals and meals that can be made on the grill.


So naturally I pulled out my recipe file for some fresh ideas.




Ah recipe file, my old friend, it's been awhile.


Deep in the pile that is my recipe file I came across a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens magazine for fish tacos.


Fish tacos sounded delicious to me. However, I wasn't sure if the family would agree. But since they've been enjoying the other fish recipes I've tried, I decided to give fish tacos a go. And the recipe looked so easy I kinda liked them already!


Start by rinsing, patting dry and cutting 1 pound of fish (tilapia or catfish fillets) into 1 inch pieces. 


I bought my tilapia frozen from Target. I've been doing a lot of my grocery shopping at Target lately. They carry most of the items I need and have low prices! (Not a paid advertisement! Just sayin'!)


Juice 2 limes (purchase 3 so you have an extra lime to cut into wedges for serving) into a bowl, stir in 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Remove 1/3 cup of lime sauce to toss the fish in to coat.



Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat.


In a shallow bowl combine 1/3 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Working with 1/3 of the fish at a time, toss fish into flour mixture to coat lightly, then add fish to skillet. 




Cook fish 2 to 4 minutes until fish begins to brown and become flakey. Drain fish on paper towels.


Place cooked fish in warmed flour tortillas. Topped with shredded cabbage and shredded carrots.(I purchased a ready made shredded cabbage carrot mix. Easy!) If you like a little kick you can add jalapeƱo as well. Drizzle the remaining  lime sauce over the fish tacos.




Oh that sauce is yummy!


Fish tacos served with mango that's been drizzled with a little lime and given a dash of salt...Excellent!




Then family gave fish tacos three thumbs up and a half way thumb. Half way thumb means, don't hate it, working on loving it. I can live with that. The fish taco recipe stays!


Our meal was topped off with laughter as we watched the girl's faces as they ate the last of the lime wedges. Wish I'd pulled out my camera! Next time.


Christine

No comments: