Thursday, September 15, 2011

Recipe for my Mother-in-law

Sometimes I am very forgetful!


I had promised to get a recipe to the Mother-in-law, two months ago, for honey salmon skewers and smashed potatoes and I just now remembered.


I apologize!!


I was going to write it down on a pretty recipe card and send it to her, but then I thought the rest of you might like it too. So, instead of a pretty recipe card, the recipe will come with pretty pictures...on my blog...which my Mother-in-law reads! I love that she reads the blog!! Well except for one of the pictures. One of them is not very good, but as it is the only photo I have for a particular step of this recipe, it will have to do! 


Mmmmm, honey salmon skewers and smashed potatoes, courtesy of Martha Stewarts Everyday Foods!


Ah Martha Stewart, I love your magazines! I do not love that your program switched to a cable channel that I do not get...it still makes me want to cry a little! ho hum.


Anyway...


This recipe is quick and easy, which is one of the reasons I like it...that and it is delicious!


Honey salmon skewers and smashed potatoes


1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes


Salt and pepper


1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon, cut into 1 inch pieces


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil


3 tablespoons honey


3 cups baby spinach


2 tablespoons unsalted butter


Heat broiler, rack in top position. Bring potatoes to a boil in salted water, boil about 15 minutes, until tender.


Thread salmon onto skewers. If you're going to use wooden skewers, it helps to soak them in water for about 20 minutes to prevent the skewers from burning.


Place salmon skewers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.


Look at Miss Sofi Bug's pretty nails. She applied the oil so I could get the photo. She's a very good helper!
Broil salmon, turning once, until opaque, about 6 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with honey! Yum!




I can't believe I don't have a better photo for this step. Oh well, photo bad, taste good!


Drain potatoes. While the potatoes are still hot, gently smash them with the back of a spoon to flatten slightly. This step is not as easy as I expected it would be. Martha's magazine does not mention that your potato may go flying across the room! Of course Martha's expert staff may never have had that problem. It may just be me! So, just in case you're like me, and you too are not a Martha expert, the potatoes don't always sit still to be smashed with the back of a spoon! Be careful!


Toss your smashed potatoes with the spinach and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Even though smashing potatoes is not an easy task for me, it is so worth it because the potatoes soak up all of that butter and they taste so good!




Then serve! The Family likes to have crusty bread with this meal!




So good!!


This meal received six thumbs up from the Family, including the Mother-in-law and Father-in-law! Give it a try and let me know what you think!


Christine

No comments: