Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Firsts

I sat down to blog yesterday. I just couldn't make it happen. I was so very tired that my brain would not cooperate. So I gave up. I think I was worn out from all of the excitement of the week!


Let's see, there were the girl's first volleyball games. Ever. They participated in volleyball camp in the spring, but now they are on volleyball teams and have played in their first games.


Miss Sofi Bug practicing her spike!
Each of their teams played a set of three games, losing two. But that means that each team also won one game! Hurray!! 


I was a little concerned that the girls would be sad that their teams didn't do better, especially when Miss Sofi Bug was a little discouraged in the beginning. Her coach made a point of informing the girls on her team, that they were the "C" team for a reason...not the best players...all new to the sport... Yep, the encouragement flowed freely! Both of the girls came away from their games feeling pretty excited though, and happy to be playing.


I'm super excited that I no longer have to lug chairs, blankets and hot beverages to games like when the girls played soccer. Now I just bring the hot beverages...I love Starbucks!! I can't wait for the next game!


The Husband and I went to our first Junk Bonanza. Ever. It was truly a bonanza of junk. I loved it!


Junk as far as the eye could see!


There was junk for those who are creative and want to make some new and fabulous junk! Of course I use the term junk in the most wonderful way. Good junk...fun junk...




There was junk that people have already turned into fabulous new junk!






It's very fun to see what kinds of fabulous junk people create!




There was quite a lot of junk jewelry! Who doesn't love junk jewelry?




And yes, we bought some junk while we were there. Only a couple of things.


This little finial.




And a bell jar and some old croquet balls.



That was all. That was enough. We should probably get rid of some of the junk we have before we buy any more! But I've wanted a bell jar for awhile now...this one was a good deal...it looks very nice on the book shelf...


Anywaaay...there was a ton of fun junk. 




We had a great time. We will definitely go to the Junk Bonanza again next year!!


I also pickled for the first time. Ever! 


It was such fun!


The Husband has a coworker who makes the most delicious refrigerator pickles. She has shared some with me and some of the other women at the Husband's office. We have all liked them so much she agreed to teach us how to make them.


I was so excited! I have never canned or pickled anything! Along with my dream of having a farm comes the dream that I can fruit and vegetables and I make my own pickles. It completes the dream. I have no explanation. It just makes me happy to imagine that I have a farm and I can things and pickle. Hmmm...that's my happy place!


Everything was all set when we arrived to make pickles.




Unfortunately, I was so engrossed in arranging all of the brightly colored veggies and peppers in the jars, I didn't pay enough attention to how to make the brine. I actually did not learn a thing.




I did have a great time with all of the ladies though! They're amazing women! I love spending time with them!! I will have to ask if we can make pickles again, so I can not pay enough attention again, so we will have to make pickles again,so I can not pay attention. I wonder how many times I can get away with that? hmmmm.


I thought that would be the end of the firsts I was going to have to share with you, but first thing this morning, I saw this rainbow over my neighbors house.




I had to add it in! What a beautiful reminder!


It's no wonder, with all of the excitement of all of those firsts, that I was so tired yesterday! But I've sure had fun!


Christine

No comments: