Friday, October 26, 2012

Pasta and Pea Soup

Call me strange but I enjoy going to Miss Sofia's orthodontist appointments.

Not just because Miss Sofia is getting a lovely, all be it expensive, straight toothed smile,



but because while I'm waiting for Miss Sofia to be finished with her appointment, I get to pour through all sorts of fun magazines that I don't have subscriptions to. Whoop whoop! 

It would sure be nice if her appointments where longer than 15 minutes! I have to pour quickly!!

Recently, while looking through the EveryDay with Rachel Ray magazine, I came across a recipe for pasta and pea soup.

Please note that, though I was tempted, I did not rip the recipe out of the orthodontist's magazine.

I did search for it online as soon as I got home and then pin it on Pinterest!

The soup is super easy to make and so good!

The ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon thyme
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups Ditalini pasta
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
salt and pepper
1 cup grated parmesan

Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over med-high heat. Add pancetta to brown.



Add onion and thyme. Cook until onion is soft.



See my pancetta there? It's not quite browned enough. I was in too big a hurry to get my photos. Brown yours up nice!

Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.



Add Ditalini and peas. 



Peas! Yum yum yum!!! The whole family isn't as thrilled about peas for dinner as I am, but they're getting there. At least they think they're great in this soup. Baby steps.

Salt and pepper soup to taste. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of parmesan. Serve soup with remaining parmesan.



Doesn't that look good!?

It is! It is!

The family gave this soup recipe 4 thumbs up!

Thank you Rachel Ray! 

This soup, served with a nice hunk of rustic bread, is going to be a winter weekend staple for sure!

Christine

No comments: