Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Happy happy joy joy!! Whoop whoop, hurray! It's Fall!

I kinda have a thing for Fall. It's my favorite time of year.

It's time for bonfires and s'mores!



I'm a little bummed though that I can't find strawberry marshmallows this year! I never was a big fan of s'mores until I discovered strawberry marshmallows. Now I can't find them anywhere. Oh the injustice!

It's time for trips to the orchard!



And apples baked into sweet, satisfying desserts!



Hello delight of my tastebuds! -drool- 

Anyone else have an absolute weakness for apple dumplings?

Anyone? 

I shall wipe my chin and continue then.

Fall also means it's time for hearty meals. Comfort food if you will.

No more light dishes.

No more worrying about heating up the house when I cook.

It's time to turn on the oven!

It's time for roasts and stews and filling the house with all the promising aromas of a satisfying meal at the end of the long day!

I started off this new season of hearty meals with an old favorite...meatloaf!

There are many good recipes out there for meatloaf, this is the Family's favorite. 

1 pound ground beef (1 pound is perfect for our family of 4. Add another 1/2 pound if you need to feed a couple more)
2 slices of bread, cut into cubes
1/4 cup onion, chopped (if I'm out of fresh onion I'll use dried, chopped onion. Which I had to do for last night's meatloaf) 
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup milk

Place all of your ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.



Many people like to mix their meatloaf ingredients by hand. I'm not one of those people. YUCK! I like to use a fork. That way I can still use my hands to answer the phone, apply a bandaid if needed, (Why do children always seem to get hurt while you're in the middle of making dinner?) or take a photo of the bowl full of meatloaf ingredients. You know, whatever comes up, I'm ready to handle it! Punny!

Once your ingredients are mixed well, gently spread into a bread loaf pan.



Top with ketchup.




I like to evenly spread the ketchup over the top of the meatloaf. That was a gross looking picture though! YIKES!! I'm not going to show it. You may spread it or leave it in swirls. Up to you.

Bake at 350˚ for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It will be one of the best smelling hour and fifteen minutes ever!! Next to the apple dumpling baking smell that is.



Served with mashed potatoes and corn, satisfaction is guaranteed!!



The family devours! 4 thumbs up! 

Now just so I don't leave you with the impression that the only thing I like about Fall is the food,



we're super excited that Miss Emma Bean's Fall volleyball season has started. Her team even won their first game! Way to go team!!

Ahhhh Fall!

Christine

No comments: