Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Renewed Passion for the Garden

Over the last couple of years my usual joy for vegetable gardening has turned to discouragement.

I still want, and appreciate, meals made with fresh ingredients right from my own vegetable garden.


Chicken covered in, fresh from the garden, chive vinaigrette
No produce from the grocery store EVER has the same incredible flavor as the produce right from your own garden. Can I get an amen!?


Salmon packets with fresh from the garden green beans. I've posted this recipe before. Click on easiest salmon recipe ever if you missed it and would like to check it out.
But the last couple of years the harvest from my garden just hasn't been what it once was.



I used to have an abundance of tomatoes, tons of crisp green beans, and oh the cucumbers, herbs, snap peas, and lettuce! It was wonderful!

This however has not been the case in the last couple of years. The weeds in my vegetable garden have been a big problem. The harvest has been very small. Some seeds never even grew last year. -bah- 

I've been very frustrated.

So frustrated that I suggested to the Husband that we give up on it. Just rip it out and forget it! I'll just stick to flower beds!

-SIGH-

Fortunately he's encouraged me to hold off. He and the girls were such a big help getting everything planted last year. I was, well, mopey about it. Yep, there's the truth of it. Big ol' mope, that was me. 



I think some of the problem has been weather related. We've just had odd weather the last couple years and it hasn't helped the garden any.

And maybe the vegetable garden would have done better if we spent as much time weeding...



as we spent doing this. Maybe.



But then again the weeding never seemed to end!! It's just gotten worse with each passing year. -grrrrr-

Maybe the problem is that the Husband hasn't worn his kilt enough!

Oh Baby!




Okay, so that probably wouldn't actually do anything to improve the garden, but it would make me happy!!

Anyway, what I'm saying is, I was ready to give up on growing my own vegetables. Done! Enough! No more!!

Then I saw Paul Gautschi in Back to Eden. Here is a short teaser. Click on Back to Eden to view the entire video. 



It's a bit long. I had to view it a little at a time. But it was so worth the time it took to watch! Paul has so much wise advice on establishing and maintaining an organic garden. He is inspiring! Watching Back to Eden has renewed my passion for my garden!

Now I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can dig in (get it?) and begin to apply all that I learned from Paul to my own garden!

I'm so excited for my garden to once again be a thing of joy!

Please continue to check back, I'm going to keep you posted on my progress!

Christine






No comments: