Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Rather Lovely Weekend

I had intended to post yesterday about our weekend, but I spent the day shopping with my mom and I didn't get to it.

Yes, shopping with my mom won out over posting on the blog. I apologize. But we had such a good time. She bought a pair of earrings. I got a new scarf. We started the morning with Starbucks and later had lunch together and well, I didn't get around to blogging about the weekend. I shirked. I'm a shirker. 

Anyway...

We kicked off our weekend Friday evening with friends who came into town from South Dakota.

Our friends, Tom and Jean and their sons, who are so very grown up now, (why do kids insist on growing up so fast??)  arrived with beer and wine and dinner in hand! To be precise they arrived with beer and wine and the ingredients for dinner in hand. Jean, who is an amazing cook, then proceeded to make the most delicious butternut squash soup.


The Husband was skeptical at first, he's not a fan of squash, but when he learned it was made with thick cut bacon... Yep, Jean had him at bacon! It was excellent!

Dinner and games and laughing with very good friends, it was a lovely way to start the weekend. 

We then had a full Saturday with Miss Emma Bean's volleyball tournament.


She and her team started out playing the only team that beat them the whole season. They were so nervous.


They won! Whoop whoop!

It was a very exciting game. The girls could not have been happier!

Then they lost to the next team. -bummer-


Not so happy.

We had a little chat about being a good sport and continuing to have a positive attitude even in the face of disappointment.


Then they lost their third game. 

I was so proud of the whole team. They handled that second loss with much more grace than they had the first one. In fact in the midst of that third game they were laughing and continuing to encourage each other. Winning is great, but sometimes more is gained from a loss. 

And they still got these cool medals.


Sadly Miss Emma Bean's put her foot down and will no longer permit me to post any photo where she is making funny faces while hitting the volleyball. -sigh- Those are my favorite. -ho hum-

Tired from a late Friday night with friends, a full day of cheering and playing volleyball Saturday, we snuggled up with a toasty fire in the fireplace Sunday night and watched  Once Upon a Time, it's the family's favorite show. 

Anyway, it was a rather lovely weekend, but now it's Tuesday and we're into another week and I'm so excited for Thanksgiving, but annoyed that stores are already playing Christmas music! As that has nothing really to do with this blog post I think it's time to sign off now. 

Christine

No comments: