Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Few Things About Chickens

Hurray! The garden is finally enclosed!



We chose to remove a section of the garden this spring to build our chicken coop in its place...the chicken coop that took what felt like forever to build because of the crazy weather we had this Spring. You may remember from a previous blog post that every time we made a little progress on the coop it snowed. -Bah- 



Well, we finally got the garden fence attached to the coop! The garden is now completely enclosed. I'll say it again...HURRAY!!!

No more rabbits eating my snap peas and cilantro! Now it's mine! All mine! Mwah ha ha ha!

Eh hem. Sorry. 

It's not that I'm unwilling to share the abundance of my garden's harvest, it's just that I'm not willing to share it with the rabbits. Who eat it all! Who leave nothing for anyone else! Who don't even say so much as a thank you ma'am.  
-grrrrr-

Anyway...

We didn't plant much in the garden, due to the fact that it hadn't yet been enclosed and I knew the rabbits would eat EVERYTHING, but we did get a few things planted and they are coming along nicely. Or I should say, what the rabbits haven't eaten is coming along nicely. My poor cilantro. -sigh-

Rabbits!

I'm going to take a deep breath now.

Okay, that's better.



We should get a few tomatoes.



We have two snap pea plants that managed to evade the rabbits. They'll provide a nice little snack.



I'll even get a few cucumbers. Fresh cucumbers from the garden, oh yeah!

I can't wait to enjoy the harvest.

And the chickens are enjoying the added space to run.

The original plan was to build a small run for the chickens between the coop and garden. The Husband and I decided to attach the garden directly to the coop giving the chickens the entire space to spread their wings so to speak.

Funny thing about chickens, even with all the extra space, they like to stick together.






We've learned that the saying birds of a feather flock together is serious business.

We've also learned that for all their cute, cuddly looks,



chickens have some killer claws!





Yikes!

We'll forgive them though. Those claws make for short work digging up weeds in the garden.



Love those chickens!

And the thing that has surprised me most, chickens drop a lot, a whole lot, of feathers! 

Who knew?


Okay they knew, but no one told me! 

Time to make some feather pillows? 

Christine

No comments: