Friday, November 18, 2011

Apple Pie

The Husband was disappointed when he arrived home the other day and found there was no apple pie.




The Husband was upset that the photo in Wednesday's blog was not of a pie I made that day while he was at work, but a photo of the pie I made last Thanksgiving.


In order to appease the Husband, who has been waiting since last Thanksgiving for some of his favorite pie, that's right I have not made apple pie since last Thanksgiving, (FOR SHAME) I made apple pie yesterday!


It also helped that I was given a small truck load of apples from my friend whose family owns a small orchard!




And ba da bing...apple pie!


I will tell you straight up I do not usually make my own pie crust. I know, pie crust makers everywhere just gasped in unison. But here's the thing...I don't especially like pie crust. In fact I do not eat the edge of the crust. There's no pie filling there! Drat! Another gasp. 


In my opinion, mine only, pie crust is only necessary to keep the pie filling from spilling all over. And I might be lazy. Therefore I use a store bought pie crust.




Thank you Pillsbury for an easy to use, ready made pie crust. Unroll and place in pie dish. Easy as pie!




And thank you for keeping all of my pie filling from spilling all over!


I will also tell you that when I confess to people that I use a store bought crust they are surprised. I'm just sayin'!


For the pie filling whisk together 1 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of salt in a large bowl.




I slice the apples with my handy dandy apple slicer.




Then using a paring knife I remove the apple peal and cut each apple slice in half or even thirds.




I slice my apples this way because it's easy.


I drop the apple slices into the bowl with the sugar and flour mixture.




Making sure each slice is coated with the sugar and flour mixture, pile the apples into the store bought crust lined pie plate.



My recipe calls for 8 cups of apples. I don't measure. I keep piling up apple slices until I decide I have enough!


Top apples with 2 tablespoons of butter cut into cubes,



and the zest of 1/2 a lemon.



I almost forgot! Pour the remaining sugar and flour mixture over the apples!


Using clean kitchen shears, make decorative cuts in the top crust.




Easy!


Place top crust over apples and crimp edges. I am not very good at crimping the pie edge, but no matter how the edge looks the pie still tastes good!




Finally brush an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk) over the crust. You can bake the pie without an egg wash. An egg wash sure makes it look nice and golden and shiny though.




I place my pie on a baking sheet before I bake it. The baking sheet will catch any drips if your pie bubbles up and over the pie plate.


Wrap the edges of the pie crust in foil to protect the edge from overcooking and place pie in 425˚ oven for 30 minutes.




After 30 minutes remove foil from pie edge and return pie to oven for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Apples will be soft and pie filling should be bubbling when done.



Hello gorgeous!




Looks good!




That's all I have to say!!


Christine


P.S. The Husband really is an easy going man. He has however been asking me to make an apple pie for a few weeks now and I haven't gotten around to it.


The Husband also has a very good sense of humor. He suggested I use the goofy photo of him.


This blog is Husband approved! I love that man!!

No comments: